From: "Holger Wünsche" <diegoldeneenteml@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext4 root-partition mounted read-only as "type none"
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 07:47:18
1 On 15 September 2016 01:01:02 CEST, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >If you're using an initramfs the kernel will not mount anything at any
3 >time unless some process with sufficient capabilities asks it to. The
4 >initramfs typically mounts the root partition, and then execs init.
5 >Anything beyond that is done by init or whatever processes it spawns,
6 >such as openrc. Offhand I don't remember if modern initramfs
7 >solutions mount root as read-write; openrc will probably check for
8 >this in any case and remount if it is read-only (I could be wrong on
9 >that).
10 >
11 >If something other than root isn't mounted correctly, the fault
12 >probably lies in your fstab or openrc, or you're missing a necessary
13 >driver/etc.
14
15 Thanks for correcting me, i mixed it up a bit. But after looking in into the init-system I found the problem (or at least I fixed it).
16
17 Since the init did not work I tried:
18 # openrc sysinit
19
20 and got some errors I can not fully recall. So I took a look at dmesg (needed to use the command, since the file did not get created) I saw: the problem was a segfault in libselinux. I switched to the live-cd mounted all partitions chrooted in it, then I reemerged the whole system (emerge -ae world), because I wanted to be sure to go safe. After this I double checked the kernel configuration again and rebuild it as well (the same with the initramfs). This solved the problem, at least for me (finally I have the right keyboardlayout loaded on boot ;-).
21
22 Thanks for all your help pointing me in the right direction (especially with /proc/mounts which cleared the way). I learned quite a lot and got my system running the I want.
28 Holger Wünsche