From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext4 root-partition mounted read-only as "type none"
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 23:01:18
1 On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 5:03 PM, Holger Wünsche
2 <diegoldeneenteml@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > I think the problem might be fstab or the point, where the initramfs gives controll to the kernel.
5
6 The initramfs doesn't ever really give control to the kernel (well, at
7 least not any more than any process does anytime it invokes a system
8 call). The last thing the initramfs does is exec init, which then
9 assumes control.
10
11 > Since if I am not mistaken (I just say what I recall reading while searching for a solution) the initramfs just gets the system running and then the kernel should remount the root-partition.
12
13 If you're using an initramfs the kernel will not mount anything at any
14 time unless some process with sufficient capabilities asks it to. The
15 initramfs typically mounts the root partition, and then execs init.
16 Anything beyond that is done by init or whatever processes it spawns,
17 such as openrc. Offhand I don't remember if modern initramfs
18 solutions mount root as read-write; openrc will probably check for
19 this in any case and remount if it is read-only (I could be wrong on
20 that).
21
22 If something other than root isn't mounted correctly, the fault
23 probably lies in your fstab or openrc, or you're missing a necessary
24 driver/etc.
27 Rich