From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Qmail and Spamassassin won't integrate
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 19:16:38
1 Hello all,
2
3 I am quickly getting to the hair-pulling stage because I cannot accomplish the
4 simple setup of qmail and spamassassin. There is lots of docs out there, but
5 they all suggest completely different ways of doing things.
6
7 Here's what I have:
8 netqmail-1.05-r8
9 dovecot-1.0.13-r1
10 spamassassin-3.2.1-r1
11
12 These are all installed, and presumably working fine. That is: qmail is
13 accepting and delivering mail, spamd starts and runs with no errors, and I am
14 able to log in and get my mail using Dovecot and IMAP.
15
16 What I am trying to accomplish:
17
18 I just want qmail to run all incoming mail through spamassassin and add X-Spam
19 header for all spam it finds before it is delivered locally. With this I
20 shall be able to use .dovecot.sieve to place it in a spam folder for quick
21 review and deletion.
22
23 Here's a few attempts I have made to integrate spamassassin, and the results:
24
25 Attempt 1 (Docs: [0]):
26 * emerge 'safecat' to get 'maildir' binary.
27 * Put "| spamassassin -P | maildir ./Maildir/"
28 in "/var/qmail/control/defaultdelivery"
29
30 Result:
31 * mail is still delivered, but is not processed by spamassassin.
32 * It is my understanding that "X-Spam-Status" header should be added even if
33 the mail is not identified as spam.
34
35 Problems:
36 * Reading spamassassin docs leads me to believe that there is no "-P" option,
37 and that I should really be using 'spamc'. I tried replacing spamassassin
38 with spamc in "/var/qmail/control/defaultdelivery". No effect.
39
40 Attempt 2 (Docs: [1]):
41
42 * emerge 'mess822' (required by ifspamh)
43 * emerge 'ksh' (ifspamh is ksh script)
44 * Place 'ifspamh' in /usr/local/bin
45 * setup .qmail and .qmail-spam as per docs
46
47 Result:
48 * No mail delivery at all. No obvious errors in any logs, mail just dries up.
49
50 Attempt 3 (Docs: [2]):
51
52 * emerge 'qmail-scanner'
53
54 Result:
55 * emerge hangs forever while searching for plugins to add to
56 qmail-scanner-queue.pl. Some testing shows that the process is using no
57 resources, so: it's hanging doing nothing?!?
58
59 Problems:
60 * 'clamav' (a dependancy of qmail-scanner) emerge failed with something about
61 a gcc bug, and suggested I use a different compiler. I switched
62 to 'i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6' from 'i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.1' and it compiles.
63 * Cannot get qmail-scanner to compile at all.
64 * Dead-end.
65
66 There is another method I have found, using simscan [3] but it seems to
67 require yet another third-party binary , and a patch to qmail, so I am not
68 really interested in trying, especially with all the failed attempts so far.
69
70 Conclusion:
71
72 Spamassassin and Qmail hate me.
73
74 Does anyone on this list have spamassassin integrated with qmail at the MTA
75 level? I would be very interested in which method you used, and your configs.
76
77 Is there something else I am missing?
78
79 Any other info you need please just ask.
80
81 [0] http://www.magma.com.ni/~jorge/spamassassin.html
82 [1] http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/IntegratedInQmailWithIfspamh
83 [2] http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/IntegratedInQmailWithQmailScanner
84
85 Thanks,
86 -d
87 --
88 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
89 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
90 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972
91 --
92 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list