From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Rules
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 09:51:27
1 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 18:13 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Florian Philipp wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Okay, here it goes:
7 >>>
8 >>> I think we could need a better support for binary packages.
9 >>> There was a thread in here a few months ago about how to offer binary
10 >>> packages for customers. As far as I remember the problem was (and still
11 >>> is) that there is no easy way to check the packages for corruption
12 >>> (trojans, stuff like that).
13 >>>
14 >>>
15 >> I know some things are only available as a binary but Gentoo is about
16 >> compiling your own packages. Binaries are for Redhat, Mandrake and
17 >> such. I moved away from that for good reason.
21 > As far as I know Gentoo is all about choice. Shouldn't the user have the
22 > choice to use binary packages? Maybe his/her laptop doesn't stand the
23 > thermal output of its CPU when emerging or maybe he/she's the
24 > administrator of a large company's network, trying to move every
25 > computer system to Gentoo.
26 >
27 > If you want Gentoo to grow and prosper, you must accept that there are
28 > people who don't want or are not able to compile every piece of software
29 > but still want to use Gentoo.
30 >
31 > Just my two cents.
32 >
33 > -Florian Philipp
36 That is when you compile it on another machine then install it on the
37 laptop. The -K option comes to mind here.
38
39 I also think that the "choice" is in what you install as far as programs
40 and the options they have available. Gentoo is Linux from Scratch with
41 a serious package manager. "Choice" is not about having binaries or
42 not. Also keep in mind that if a binary has something compiled in that
43 you don't want or need, you are stuck with it and its dependencies. If
44 you compile your own, you have choices. This and dependency he** is why
45 I switched from Mandrake, now known as Mandriva or something like that.
46
47 My two cents.
48
49 Dale