From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Rules
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 09:30:04
1 On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 18:13 -0600, Dale wrote:
2 > Florian Philipp wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Okay, here it goes:
5 > >
6 > > I think we could need a better support for binary packages.
7 > > There was a thread in here a few months ago about how to offer binary
8 > > packages for customers. As far as I remember the problem was (and still
9 > > is) that there is no easy way to check the packages for corruption
10 > > (trojans, stuff like that).
13 > I know some things are only available as a binary but Gentoo is about
14 > compiling your own packages. Binaries are for Redhat, Mandrake and
15 > such. I moved away from that for good reason.
18 As far as I know Gentoo is all about choice. Shouldn't the user have the
19 choice to use binary packages? Maybe his/her laptop doesn't stand the
20 thermal output of its CPU when emerging or maybe he/she's the
21 administrator of a large company's network, trying to move every
22 computer system to Gentoo.
23
24 If you want Gentoo to grow and prosper, you must accept that there are
25 people who don't want or are not able to compile every piece of software
26 but still want to use Gentoo.
27
28 Just my two cents.
29