From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Rules
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 00:22:51
1 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 >
3 > Okay, here it goes:
4 >
5 > I think we could need a better support for binary packages.
6 > There was a thread in here a few months ago about how to offer binary
7 > packages for customers. As far as I remember the problem was (and still
8 > is) that there is no easy way to check the packages for corruption
9 > (trojans, stuff like that).
12 I know some things are only available as a binary but Gentoo is about
13 compiling your own packages. Binaries are for Redhat, Mandrake and
14 such. I moved away from that for good reason.
15
16 > In my opinion the end result should be something like a build server
17 > that builds and provides a set of packages with different USE- and
18 > CFLAGS, possibly even accepting automatic requests from clients.
19 > Everything could be digitally signed and distributed over a network.
20 >
21 > Other things to improve? A better documentation on USE-flags. In my
22 > opinion every maintainer should provide as much information as possible
23 > on what exactly a USE-flag changes. At the moment it's the
24 > administrator's responsibility to find this out. Not really a good idea
25 > on production systems if you ask me ...
28 I would love to see better documentation of the USE flag and what they
29 do exactly. Some of them are so cryptic that even a google search is
30 useless. Alsa is pretty straight forward but what is winpopup for
31 Kopete exactly? Euse -i reports back, "Builds WinPopUp protocol
32 handler" but what the heck is that exactly? I'm thinking a little more
33 info would be really really neat. Make google something that is not
34 needed maybe.
35 > Maybe we could also improve our user-dev relations. I hardly if ever see
36 > a dev or bug wrangler responding to threads in the user list even when
37 > they concern Gentoo as a whole (like this one and its predecessors).
40 This is something that has been tried before. There just seems to be a
41 few that doesn't think users and devs should be able to talk. Bad thing
42 about -dev mailing list is that it only takes one to ruin it.
43
44 > I know, all this should be redirected to bugzilla but since they are not
45 > high priority problems and I can't - at least for now - help solving
46 > them, I don't like to bother our had working devs and bug wranglers with
47 > stuff like that.
50 > - Florian Philipp
53 Bugzilla is not the place for this, yet anyway. I would usually say
54 -project but there is very little activity on it so this is as good a
55 place as any I guess. IMHO anyway.
56
57 Dale
58