From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Rules
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:52:24
1 On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 13:58 -0600, Christopher Dale wrote:
4 > Feel free to post any ideas you have to enhance Gentoo's base
5 > functionality to the list though, I think you've roused everyone's
6 > curiosity Grant :D
7 >
8 > Christopher
12 Okay, here it goes:
13
14 I think we could need a better support for binary packages.
15 There was a thread in here a few months ago about how to offer binary
16 packages for customers. As far as I remember the problem was (and still
17 is) that there is no easy way to check the packages for corruption
18 (trojans, stuff like that).
19
20 In my opinion the end result should be something like a build server
21 that builds and provides a set of packages with different USE- and
22 CFLAGS, possibly even accepting automatic requests from clients.
23 Everything could be digitally signed and distributed over a network.
24
25 Other things to improve? A better documentation on USE-flags. In my
26 opinion every maintainer should provide as much information as possible
27 on what exactly a USE-flag changes. At the moment it's the
28 administrator's responsibility to find this out. Not really a good idea
29 on production systems if you ask me ...
30
31 Maybe we could also improve our user-dev relations. I hardly if ever see
32 a dev or bug wrangler responding to threads in the user list even when
33 they concern Gentoo as a whole (like this one and its predecessors).
34
35 I know, all this should be redirected to bugzilla but since they are not
36 high priority problems and I can't - at least for now - help solving
37 them, I don't like to bother our had working devs and bug wranglers with
38 stuff like that.
41 - Florian Philipp