From: jakommo <jakommo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resize /
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 22:05:11
1 On 11/16/06, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > jakommo writes:
4 >
5 > > On 11/16/06, geistteufel <geistteufel@×××××.fr> wrote:
6 >
7 > > > If you have opt in your / I suggest to move it and doing a symlink
8 > > >
9 > > > like cd /; mv opt usr; ln -s usr/opt .
10 > > For now I think maybe its better to make some new partitions and copy
11 > the
12 > > stuff to them by using a live cd and then adjust fstab and/or make
13 > > symlinks. the problem is the maschine is a server and I dont want it to
14 > > be down for a long time, its only used for cups at the moment, but I
15 > > think its more secure to quit the idea of resizing and do it the mount
16 > > and symlink way. another benefit of this way is I can prepare everything
17 > > so I only need to reboot with a live cd to copy the files and thats it.
18 >
19 > I don't think there is a neeed to boot from CD for that. Just copy /usr
20 > (or
21 > whatever directory you like) to its new destination, rename /usr and
22 > create
23 > the symlink instantly after that:
24 >
25 > cp -pr /usr /newdrive/
26 > mv /usr /usr.old && /usr.old/bin/ln -s /newdrive/usr /
27 >
28 > This makes /usr unavailable for a fraction of seconds only. Programs
29 > currently using files in /usr should not be affected, when the files are
30 > still open it should not matter if they are renamed as long as they stay
31 > on
32 > the same partition.
33 >
34 > Alex
35 > --
36 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
39 thanks Alex,
40
41 I think I try that, but I wait for a moment where it doesn't metter if
42 something goes wrong.
43
44 jakommo