From: Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [Very OT] - Kill-A-Watt (240V Version) to measure my Gentoo Server Power Usage
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:17:05
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 8/3/06, Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Well, the USA has the same coming in too. We have 220v to 240v coming
4 >> in but that is split into different legs for the 110v to 120v stuff.
5 >
6 > No, we don't. We have ~120V between a 'hot' wire and neutral, and
7 > 240V appliances work by using the two hot wires that are 180 degrees
8 > out of phase with each other.
9 >
10 > Other countries actually have 240V between the hot and neutral wires,
11 > regardless of how many hot wires actually come in.
12 >
13 > -Richard
14
15 But I can plug their 220v stuff in here too. I have seen the plugs
16 here, Lowes I think. They are funny looking though.
17
18 That said, having it 220 or 240v is more efficient. That is why they
19 distribute power at higher voltages, sometimes as high as 500Kv.
20
21 Dale
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list