From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] app-admin/mcelog daily cronjob?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 19:47:46
1 On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 18:17:35 +0100, Stroller wrote:
2
3 > > That assumes that everybody has mcelog installed, they don't.
4 >
5 > Since I don't recall installing it, I assume that this is now being
6 > shipped as part of world.
7
8 It's no t on anything here. @world is empty, I take it you mean @system.
9 That is defined by the current profile so if it had been added, anyone
10 running the latest profile would have it - I am and I do not.
11
12 If it's in @world, you put it there.
13
14 > >> I'm pretty sure a cron USE flag is in use elsewhere, I think it would
15 > >> be better to have an option to install the package without the cron
16 > >> script, rather than having to delete it manually each time one
17 > >> upgrades the package.
18 > >
19 > > That's a fair point, except you don't have to delete anything. If the
20 > > execute permission is not set, the script does not run.
21 >
22 > I think it's reasonable not to expect a daily error message from
23 > default settings which the user hasn't been advised to configure.
24 >
25 > I don't know whether the script is being run or not, but assuming this
26 > package is causing this error message (which is the assumption under
27 > which you made this reply), the error is being produced.
28
29 I'm only following on from your assumption. I see no reason why a
30 disabled cron script should cause an error message, but it's your system
31 and you know enough for me to follow your judgement. If you are still
32 uncertain what is causing the messages, surely finding out must be your
33 priority.
37 Neil Bothwick
38
39 Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive.