From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] app-admin/mcelog daily cronjob?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 17:17:47
1 On Thu, 17 April 2014, at 1:28 pm, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 13:15:57 +0100, Stroller wrote:
3 >> ...
4 >> If this is the cause I would assume that everybody would be seeing the
5 >> same error message.
6 >
7 > That assumes that everybody has mcelog installed, they don't.
8
9 Since I don't recall installing it, I assume that this is now being shipped as part of world.
10
11 So, yes, I would expect a lot of people to be seeing the problem.
12
13 > ...
14 >> I'm pretty sure a cron USE flag is in use elsewhere, I think it would
15 >> be better to have an option to install the package without the cron
16 >> script, rather than having to delete it manually each time one upgrades
17 >> the package.
18 >
19 > That's a fair point, except you don't have to delete anything. If the
20 > execute permission is not set, the script does not run.
21
22 I think it's reasonable not to expect a daily error message from default settings which the user hasn't been advised to configure.
23
24 I don't know whether the script is being run or not, but assuming this package is causing this error message (which is the assumption under which you made this reply), the error is being produced.
25
26 Stroller.