From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] app-admin/mcelog daily cronjob?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:29:15
1 On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 13:15:57 +0100, Stroller wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, 17 April 2014, at 9:49 am, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
4 > wrote:
5 > >> ...
6 > >> So I guess my question is: is this a bug with the app-admin/mcelog
7 > >> package?
8 > >
9 > > I don't think so. If the running via cron is possible but deprecated,
10 > > proving a cron script with execute permissions disabled seems a
11 > > sensible way of covering both options.
12 >
13 > If this is the cause I would assume that everybody would be seeing the
14 > same error message.
15
16 That assumes that everybody has mcelog installed, they don't. It doesn't
17 even seem certain that this script is causing the problem. Apart fro
18 whether or not the cron script is actually run, upstream considers running
19 via cron deprecated, not broken, so including a cron script is perfectly
20 valid for now.
21
22 > I'm pretty sure a cron USE flag is in use elsewhere, I think it would
23 > be better to have an option to install the package without the cron
24 > script, rather than having to delete it manually each time one upgrades
25 > the package.
26
27 That's a fair point, except you don't have to delete anything. If the
28 execute permission is not set, the script does not run.
29
30 > USE=-cron will persist throughout updates, if it's set in make.conf or
31 > package.use.
32
33 It may be worth filing a bug requesting the use of that flag.
37 Neil Bothwick
38
39 If it ain't broke, break it and charge for repair.