From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Black Screen of Death
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 11:52:35
1 On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 01:30:48 +0200, gentoo-user@××××.de wrote:
2
3 > [2019-07-18 23:29] jdm <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>
4 > > Hi,
5 > Hi,
6
7 > > For the last 2 months I have been getting a problem where my machine
8 > > locks and after 2 seconds goes to a black screen. The machine is then
9 > > unusable, ctrl-alt-delete F1 or sys rescue keys do not work and you
10 > > cannot remote login.
11
12 > > I initially thought this was a problem with lxd but then experienced
13 > > issue when just using Enlightenment desktop. I have switched to xfce4
14 > > but still getting issue.
15
16 > > It happens 2 to 3 times a week.
17
18 > > There is nothing in logs (/var/log/messages).
19
20 > > I upgraded BIOS a beginning of year so don't think it's that but have
21 > > just upgraded again to see if that helps.
22
23 > > Running ASUS Prime x470 Prime with ryzen 2700 and have upgraded kernel
24 > > to latest stable when running emerge --update...
25
26 I've been having this problem ever since I built my "new" (April 2017)
27 machine, Ryzen something or other on an ASUS Prime x370pro. My machine
28 has been hanging, perhaps, about once a week.
29
30 > I'm not sure if it's still an issue with the 2nd gen cpus, but at least
31 > with the first gen's I had lockups until I disabled the c-state
32 > functionality in the UEFI. There was a previous thread on this list
33 > discussing the issue which might be interesting if you haven't read it
34 > yet [1].
35
36 Thanks for the tip! I've just disabled c-state (whatever that might be)
37 in my UEFI BIOS, and so far my machine hasn't hung. The test will be
38 whether or not it continues not to have hung over 4 - 6 weeks.
39
40 Unfortunately, the speed of the machine is ~10% slower than with c-state
41 enabled. On a CPU intensive benchmark, I get these timings:
42
43 With c-state enabled: 18.236s
44 With c-state disabled: 20.052s
45