From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SOLVED - Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 23:16:27
1 Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 > On Jul 28, 2012 10:29 PM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@××××××××××.uk
5 > <mailto:neil@××××××××××.uk>> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:22:24 +0300, v_2e@×××.net
8 > <mailto:v_2e@×××.net> wrote:
9 > >
10 > > > Hello again!
11 > > > The problem is solved by adding the following kernel config option:
12 > > >
13 > > > CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=M
14 > > >
15 > > > This option was not present in the old configuration files, that is
16 > > > why simple 'make oldconfig' did not do the job.
17 > >
18 > > make oldconfig should pick up new options, that's what it's for. I've
19 > > just upgraded a box from 3.4.4 to 3.5.0 and it prompted for this option,
20 > > defaulting to Y (there's little point in making something that is always
21 > > required a module).
24 > I myself prefer make menuconfig to make oldconfig, because I can
25 > easily see new options, and also invoke some help text that (tries to)
26 > explain what the option is about. Not to mention an easy-to-read
27 > "chain of dependencies" of an option.
28 >
29 > Rgds,
32 If you run make oldconfig and don't know what a option is, just type in
33 "?" and it will print the same thing as in menuconfig. Generally the
34 options are Y/n/m/? and that last one is the one that explains it all.
35
36 The funny thing is, I only use menuconfig when I am configuring a kernel
37 for the first time on a new rig. After that, I use oldconfig. I have
38 only had that fail once since about 2003 and that was when they moved
39 things around to the point that oldconfig couldn't be used.
40
41 Works for me. That's odd. If it could break, it would with me. ;-)
42 Ask anyone. lol
43
44 Dale
45
49 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!