From: Dirk Uys <dirkcuys@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 12:21:51
1 On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >> wrong. The installation needs a certain difficulty to keep idiots away.
4 >> Nobody needs idiots (except maybe ubuntu).
5 >
6 > That is insulting. My mother uses Ubuntu. Thanks for calling her an idiot.
7 > Obviously if someone wants to use his computer in order to get something
8 > done without doing a Ph.D on Portage and /etc first, then that person is an
9 > idiot.
10 >
11 > Great thinking. Fortunately, there are people (like the Ubuntu folks) who
12 > don't think that way and are trying to make Linux more popular to people who
13 > need a computer to do tasks that are not related to the computer itself.
16 Idiot is such a strong word (I should probably get another name for my dog).
17
18 The type of user I don't like is the ignorant type. Innocent users are
19 ok, they don't know, but ignorant users choose not to know. And so
20 often these ignorant users demand that they should be able to do
21 anything on a computer. If you wish to benefit from using computers,
22 you should be prepared to spend some time to get to know how the stuff
23 works. The more you want to do, the more you need to know. Not: "I
24 want amarok without mysql and xyz plugin running all silky and smooth,
25 but don't give me any command line run-arounds or lots of talk about
26 USE flags".
27
28 Regards
29 Dirk