From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 15:24:14
1 On 2009-02-05, Dirk Uys <dirkcuys@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > The type of user I don't like is the ignorant type. Innocent
4 > users are ok, they don't know, but ignorant users choose not
5 > to know.
6
7 Surely there are things you use without knowing how they work.
8 You probably use a phone, but do you _really_ know how the
9 cellular system works? How about the landline phone system?
10 The water supply system? Sewage treatment? Do you know how a
11 refinery works? A chemical plant? How about the CPU in your
12 computer. Do you actually know how it works?
13
14 > And so often these ignorant users demand that they should be
15 > able to do anything on a computer. If you wish to benefit from
16 > using computers, you should be prepared to spend some time to
17 > get to know how the stuff works. The more you want to do, the
18 > more you need to know. Not: "I want amarok without mysql and
19 > xyz plugin running all silky and smooth, but don't give me any
20 > command line run-arounds or lots of talk about USE flags".
21
22 We're all ignorant about 99% of the things we use. You just
23 happened to choose a different 1% than some other people.
26 Grant Edwards grante Yow! I am covered with
27 at pure vegetable oil and I am
28 visi.com writing a best seller!