From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Double nautilus windows for each USB flash drive plugged in
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 19:24:39
1 On 3 Oct 2009, at 20:11, daid kahl wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >>> Another useful notion is to use udev to automount flash drives (or
4 >>> external usb harddrives) to a specified location based on serial
5 >>> number. ... I can either give an overview or dig up the url if
6 >>> anyone likes.
7 >>
8 >> I'd have assumed you simple used any of the usual "automount drives
9 >> with udev" guides. Am I wrong?
10 >>
11 >> This is the way I have always intended to approach this problem, so
12 >> I'd be grateful to be corrected in advance if there's a better way.
13 >
14 > That's correct, except not all of these guides discuss the drive
15 > serial number. If you want to ensure that different drives are
16 > mounted at different points, you have to rely on the device serial
17 > (since the /dev nodes are filled in order of the device connection,
18 > regardless of which drive it is).
19 >
20 > There are plenty of guides that mention how to find the serial
21 > number and how to write the correct udev rules, but most the guides
22 > are outdated and suggest use of the symlink udevinfo, which was
23 > removed upstream recently. So, to get a device's serial number, for
24 > example (replace /dev/sdb with the correct node) :
25 >
26 > # udevadm info -a -p $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/sdb) | grep
27 > ATTRS{serial}
28 >
29 > and use the (first) serial that doesn't have colons and periods.
30 > Then for the udev rule you just need to include ATTRS{serial}=="
31 > 0000000000"
32 >
33 > This is also useful when you have external harddrives that use ext3
34 > formatting and flashdrives that don't.
35
36 Ooooops... I omitted a paste - I went to a terminal to check the
37 details and then appear to have completely forgotten to include them.
38 Thus my question is misphrased & incomplete.
39
40 I intended to ask:
41
42 I'd have assumed you simple used any of the usual "automount
43 drives with udev" guides, but based their entry in "/dev/disk/by-
44 uuid/". Am I wrong?
45
46 How do you find the serial, please? I'm guessing from `dmesg`?
47
48 I think the entry in "/dev/disk/by-uuid/" may change if you reformat
49 the drive, so your response is most helpful.
50
51 Thank you for your help,
52
53 Stroller.