From: Darren Kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how thorough is #emerge --sync?
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 04:05:52
1 Quoth the maxim wexler
2 > Hello group,
3 >
4 > I recently sync'ed portage, but when I did #emerge
5 > digg2ogg it installed version 0.8 which is way out of
6 > date.
7 >
8 > I thought sync was supposed to "prime" portage to get
9 > the latest versions of software when needed.
10 >
11 > Here's the sync line in make.conf.
12 >
13 > SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
14 >
15 > Perhaps I should be adding more? Replace with
16 > something else?
17 >
18 > -Maxim
19
20 Hi Max,
21
22 I put in a bug request for a version bump and to make a newer version stable,
23 but it has not been done yet. What you can do for now is:
24
25 # echo "media-sound/dir2ogg ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
26
27 and that will install dir2ogg-0.9.1.
28
29 Note: that is _still_ a couple versions behind the upstream stable version
30 which is 0.9.3. If you need the newer features you may just want to grab the
31 package from http://badcomputer.org/unix/dir2ogg and install manually. If you
32 want to keep it in portage, you can set up an overlay (read portage guide for
33 instructions on this) and simply copy the 0.9.1 ebuild to the overlay, change
34 the name to 'dir2ogg-0.9.3.ebuild', digest it, and install as usual...
35
36 -d
37 --
38 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
39 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
40 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list