From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Redux: Any UPS recommendations?
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 00:59:53
1 On 01/10/2013 04:21 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 08:01:47AM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote
3 >
4 > I got an APC Back-UPS BX1300G-CN from the local Staples. No worry
5 > whatsoever about overloading this baby. I'm currently running a
6 > "torture test" with the monitor, the modem, and both PC's running.
7 > They're both doing an update. I set things up so that both are building
8 > gcc at the same time. Even so, the load indicator is only lighting up 2
9 > of 5 bars, indicating approximately 40% of max load. It might've been a
10 > different story years ago back in the days of the Pentium 4 or AMD "space
11 > heaters", plus add-on video cards.
12 >
13 > Being the geek that I am, I did RTFM the docs that came with the UPS.
14 > It has an option to decide how much to allow voltage to vary before
15 > switching over to battery power. I selected the narrowest range, i.e.
16 > the "sensitive electronics" setting.
17 >
18 > One question about the configuration of apcupsd; what do I have to do
19 > get it to execute "/usr/sbin/hibernate" when hydro is out, and the
20 > battery is running low?
23 I've never used hibernate. I would imagine that that apcupsd would have
24 a hook. I googled quickly and found an ArchWiki article that discusses
25 it. Apparently you can create a symlink and apcupsd will use it rather
26 than the usual shutdown process.
27
28 Disclaimer: I have not tried it myself.
29
30 Dan