From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Redux: Any UPS recommendations?
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 00:23:54
1 On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 08:01:47AM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote
2 > I think my UPS is dying. Time to get a new one. It's been years, so
3 > there may be new tech out there I don't know about. My normal usage is
4 > * 1 LCD monitor 24"
5 > * 1 (sometimes 2) "desktop" PCs connected to the monitor
6 > * 1 ADSL router/modem
7
8 I got an APC Back-UPS BX1300G-CN from the local Staples. No worry
9 whatsoever about overloading this baby. I'm currently running a
10 "torture test" with the monitor, the modem, and both PC's running.
11 They're both doing an update. I set things up so that both are building
12 gcc at the same time. Even so, the load indicator is only lighting up 2
13 of 5 bars, indicating approximately 40% of max load. It might've been a
14 different story years ago back in the days of the Pentium 4 or AMD "space
15 heaters", plus add-on video cards.
16
17 Being the geek that I am, I did RTFM the docs that came with the UPS.
18 It has an option to decide how much to allow voltage to vary before
19 switching over to battery power. I selected the narrowest range, i.e.
20 the "sensitive electronics" setting.
21
22 One question about the configuration of apcupsd; what do I have to do
23 get it to execute "/usr/sbin/hibernate" when hydro is out, and the
24 battery is running low?
27 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
28 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications