From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo decapitated
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 19:21:35
1 On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 >
5 >> About a week ago, my Gentoo box was in a bad state where there were some
6 >> packages that would not install, so I was carefully emerging what I could
7 >> and filed a bug about one in particular that I could not emerge.
8 >>
9 >> Then I got a new kernel, 2.6.32-gentoo-r7, and I booted from it. Eeeek.
10 >> No X11 at all.
11 >> The logs informed me about some things to do, and I did them, re-emerging
12 >> a number of things. I paid particular attention to emerging anything with
13 >> x11 or xorg in its name.
14 >> Long wait.
15 >> I got to a point somewhere in there where X11 started, but would recognize
16 >> neither keyboard nor mouse.
17 >> I kept going. The keyboard started to work. I could actually log in, but
18 >> that's not all that useful without a mouse.
19 >> Then I started getting complaints about USE flags needed to make some
20 >> particular packages support some other packages. I did those too.
21 >> Now I'm at the state where "emerge -aDNvu" denies there's any work to do,
22 >> and revdep-rebuild reports health.
23 >> Still no mouse.
24 >> Fortunately, I have a laptop that can ssh into the box and I can work with
25 >> it, but it's still essentially headless.
26 >> Anybody run into this state recently?
27 >> If there's a quick fix, I'd rather not make another bug.
28 >> --
29 >> Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
32 > Have you tried this:
33 >
34 > emerge -1a $(qlist -I -C x11-drivers/)
35 >
36 > I have upgraded my kernel before without rebuilding these but they are
37 > small and only take a few minutes. Your mileage may vary.
38 >
39 > The mouse drivers should be in that list. If not, then something is
40 > missing in your set up.
41 >
42 > Dale
45 As I think I explained, I have re-emerged *everything* installed that had
46 "x11" or "xorg" in its name. And the mouse driver was definitely there.
47 --
48 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD