From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Webmin Question - was Print to cups printer from Windows?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 23:21:42
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 17 December 2008, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Mark Knecht wrote:
8 >> I know I had webmin installed for a long time but rarely used it. I
9 >> just couldn't remember if I used it for setting up printing from windoze
10 >> or not.
13 > A friend is running webmin on a server and it makes setting up some services
14 > (like CUPS) easier to visualise/understand. However, the login into webmin
15 > is set up with the root passwd. This on an Internet facing port is making me
16 > nervous, but he is sooo attached to GUI solutions I cannot convince him that
17 > ssh is all he needs. Is there a way to only allow logins as a plain user and
18 > then elevate privileges to root (just like you would su on the CLI
19 > sort-of-thing)?
22 I haven't read the other replies but here is my thinking. Start the
23 webmin service, change/setup what ever needs doing then shut down
24 webmin. That was how I did it. That way it is only up for a few
25 minutes and I never had to have webmin running to keep the other
26 services working.
27
28 Your mileage may vary tho.
29