From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LibreOffice 3.4.4: required HDD space
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 01:09:42
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > 9G is what the dev reckons is the maximum. This other figure of 4G -
3 > what is that? The amount needed by some arb combination on some arb
4 > user's machine? That's not a good enough criteria. It's not really the
5 > maximum plus one well-defined other. It's is the maximum plus every
6 > other possible combination (there is no defined minimal). If it's an
7 > issue for you, the solution is simple - keep a copy of the ebuild in
8 > your local overlay and edit the space requirements. Keep it up to date
9 > and in-sync with the ebuild in the main tree. It means you get to a
10 > little extra work, but is preferable to the dev doing a lot of extra work
11
12 With a compile that takes as long as LOo does, I'd want the dev to be on
13 the side of caution rather than underestimating it. If the max is 9Gbs,
14 then that is what they should check for. I would much rather the dev do
15 that than for me to get to about 90% of the compile done then get the
16 little message that it is out of space. I wouldn't be "hal" mad but it
17 would sort of tick me off a bit. ;-) Maybe not as bad as /usr on init
18 or using a init thingy either. Still a bit upset tho.
19
20 Dale
21
25 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!