From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage Storage using SVN
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 00:56:35
1 On Sunday 23 July 2006 10:42, Trenton Adams wrote:
2 > Hi guys,
3 >
4 > I proposed this awhile back, and got shot down. At the time, the
5 > arguments for using SVN for portage storage were pretty shallow, and
6 > someone was able to easily shoot them down. I believe I have come up
7 > with better reasoning for using SVN. Someone may still shoot them
8 > down, but hey, it's worth a try.
9 >
10 > PROBLEM 1
11 > Let's say openldap had a problem. So, we decide to mask the latest
12 > version of openldap, in an effort to roll back to the version that was
13 > working. Well, we find out that openldap still does not work. So, we
14 > finally determine that it is library W. So, now we mask library W, in
15 > an attempt to roll back to the version that was working. Oh no, now
16 > we find out that library W is used by 20 other packages, that require
17 > the latest version of library W in order to work. So, now we have to
18 > mask library W, and 20 packages in order to get our openldap system
19 > functional, assuming you cared about the 20 other broken packages,
20 > which may break other packages, which may break yet other packages.
21
22 no, you don't. You put a dependency for libraryW version XY-working into the
23 openldap related ebuilds.
27 > Wouldn't it be nice to just go "emerge --revert-portage", which goes
28 > back to the last exported copy of the portage, that you had from
29 > subversion? Boy, would that ever be convenient. It would be simple
30 > enough to store a local history of portage tags that the user was
31 > using in the past.
32
33 why not do a normal emerge sync&& emerge -au world?
34 the updated openldap package will pull in the right library W, and if other
35 apps need library W+1, well that is where slots are used.
36
37 Your problem is none. It is solved every day within the portage tree. No svn
38 needed for that.
41 > PROBLEM 3
42 > Don't sync more than once a day, or you may be temporarily banned?
43 > Well, with SVN being tagged only once a day, there would be no need to
44 > worry about this, seeing that
45
46 you are banned because of the enormous waste of bandwidth if you sync every
47 odd hours. I don't see where svn would resolve that. Even if all mirrors
48 would only updated once a day (what a nightmare - a broken package may stay
49 for 24h or more in the tree, instead being replaced as soon as the dev
50 notices), there would be people syncing more than once in 24h.
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list