From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Serious stability problems, including freezes
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 07:08:50
1 Alexander Puchmayr schrieb:
2 > Am Mittwoch 03 Juni 2009 schrieb Florian Philipp:
3 >> Do you have a spare network adapter, maybe an older 100MBit PCI card?
4 >> Maybe we should rule out a hardware fault on your ethernet chipset first.
5 >>
6 > I already thought on this, but the results of my tests dont indicate a
7 > hardware fault on the ethernet chipset, because:
8 >
9 > * I can run a ping -f to the machine, it runs for hours without the
10 > slightest problem
11 > * As long as files transfered are small enough (i.e. they fit in the cache
12 > buffer on the server) and the server has enough time to write back it to
13 > the disk, there is no problem
14 > * If I explicitly force the ethernet link to be 100FD instead of gigabit,
15 > the is also no problem. So I don't expect any error using another 100MBit
16 > card.
17
18 I would cross-check that anyway just to be sure. Other nic, other
19 kernel-module ... etc
20
21 > For me it looks like as if the following is happening:
22 >
23 > * Memory gets filled up with cached files, no problem so far
24 > * If no more physical ram is available, the system tries to free some memory
25 > internally, e.g. by flushing the caches.
26 > * If releasing cache entries and writing back data to their respective
27 > files does not perform fast enough, an internal memory allocation may not
28 > succeed, and I see the "page allocation failure" messages, with different
29 > processes/kernel threads in the first line.
30 > * I assume that most of the internal kernel threads don't get a problem in
31 > this situation, but there may be some critical parts where we do. Hence, it
32 > might just be a matter of probability whether it encounters such a critical
33 > part, and the probabilty increases with the MB/s the data is put to the NFS
34 > server.
35
36 errm, I dunno ... but how would then smaller and slower nfs-servers run
37 fine? Sounds unlikely to me.
38
39 Any special network-settings used? buffer-sizes, MTU, jumbo frames?
40 switch problems (you seem to have tried auto-negotiation off already).
41
42 Stefan