From: Alexander Puchmayr <alexander.puchmayr@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Serious stability problems [SOLVED]
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 16:47:59
1 After a long discussion with a friend I changed some kernel-configs:
2
3 * Large Receive Offload (INET_LRO) disabled.
4 * Changed allocator from SLUB to SLAB
5
6 These two made the system much more stable, much less allocation error
7 messages, but not yet stable enough (still some freezes)
8
9 * Increased /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes. was at 8065, changed it to 16000
10 which made the page allocations nearly disappear at all, with 20000 I
11 didn't find any message after having copied more than 500GB. But still one
12 freeze :-(
13
14 * Tried kernel boot parameter "noapic". Copied 500GB without any problem. No
15 freeze, no page alloc error, no transmit timeout in rtl8169 driver.
16
17 With this configuration I consider the problem as solved.
18
19 Greetings and thanks to all who answered me
20 Alex