From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Serious stability problems [SOLVED]
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 17:02:20
1 On Mittwoch 03 Juni 2009, Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
2 > After a long discussion with a friend I changed some kernel-configs:
3 >
4 > * Large Receive Offload (INET_LRO) disabled.
5 > * Changed allocator from SLUB to SLAB
6 >
7 > These two made the system much more stable, much less allocation error
8 > messages, but not yet stable enough (still some freezes)
9 >
10 > * Increased /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes. was at 8065, changed it to 16000
11 > which made the page allocations nearly disappear at all, with 20000 I
12 > didn't find any message after having copied more than 500GB. But still one
13 > freeze :-(
14 >
15 > * Tried kernel boot parameter "noapic". Copied 500GB without any problem.
16 > No freeze, no page alloc error, no transmit timeout in rtl8169 driver.
17 >
18 > With this configuration I consider the problem as solved.
19 >
20 > Greetings and thanks to all who answered me
21 > Alex
22
23 and now you go to lkml and report your finding there. It is either a hardware
24 bug which needs a workaround in the driver or a driver bug that must be fixed.
25
26 Either way, be a good citizen, report your problem.