From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] building kde-meta
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 19:01:06
1 On Donnerstag, 21. August 2008, Chuck Robey wrote:
2 > This email comments on something dealing with an emerge package issue; if
3 > this is the wrong list to put that into, let me know, I'll try again.
4 >
5 > I'm trying to emerge kde-base/kde-meta. As I ordinarily do with things I
6 > know will have lots of dependencies, I ran "emerge --pretend" on it to see
7 > if I was all right with the list of dependencies. In this case, one of the
8 > items listed was kde-base/kde-i18n-3.5.9. Now, correct me if I'm wrong,
9 > but the stuff that says "i18n" is referring to a version that supports a
10 > Russian character list. That's truly useless for me (and, I would think,
11 > the great majority of users in the USA). What I wanted to ask is, having
12 > that file as a default dependency of kde-meta, isn't that hugely wrong? I
13 > mean, shouldn't a user have to slect that in, not have it get installed by
14 > default? I mean, you should need to have something like that in your USE
15 > flags, shouldn't you?
16 >
17 > Or, am I getting something wrong in understanding what an app labeled with
18 > "i18n" would mean?
19
20 i18n is all kind of 'internationalisation'. Not only russian characters.