From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: q-reinitialize script in portage-utils-0.10
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 19:58:39
1 On 06/06/12 22:45, Mick wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 06 Jun 2012 20:30:19 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 06/06/12 21:30, Mick wrote:
4 >>> Latest stable portage told me this:
5 >>> * Messages for package app-portage/portage-utils-0.10:
6 >>>
7 >>> * /etc/portage/postsync.d/q-reinitialize has been installed for
8 >>> convenience * If you wish for it to be automatically run at the end of
9 >>> every --sync: * # chmod +x /etc/portage/postsync.d/q-reinitialize
10 >>> * Normally this should only take a few seconds to run but file systems
11 >>> * such as ext3 can take a lot longer. To disable, simply do:
12 >>> * # chmod -x /etc/portage/postsync.d/q-reinitialize
13 >>>
14 >>> but it did not tell me *why* and I don't understand what "Reinitialize
15 >>> ebuild cache" mean.
16 >>>
17 >>> In case this makes any odds, I am using eix. Do I need the above script?
18 >>
19 >> The q tool has it's own database. q-reinitialize updates it. It takes
20 >> 0.1 seconds to complete, so you can just activate it and forget about
21 >> it. You can also execute it manually to see how fast it is.
22 >
23 > Thanks Nikos, is this a database to be used by the q tools, or for some other
24 > purpose?
25
26 It's used only by q.
29 > I am trying to understand if I will be duplicating what eix does.
30
31 It's not the same as eix. It's a bit similar to equery, except it's
32 blindingly fast. Compare for example the speed of:
33
34 equery belong /bin/bash
35
36 vs:
37
38 qfile /bin/bash
39
40 q is orders of magnitude faster. I have both though, since some things
41 can be done with the one but not with the other.