From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: q-reinitialize script in portage-utils-0.10
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 19:48:31
1 On Wednesday 06 Jun 2012 20:30:19 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 06/06/12 21:30, Mick wrote:
3 > > Latest stable portage told me this:
4 > > * Messages for package app-portage/portage-utils-0.10:
5 > >
6 > > * /etc/portage/postsync.d/q-reinitialize has been installed for
7 > > convenience * If you wish for it to be automatically run at the end of
8 > > every --sync: * # chmod +x /etc/portage/postsync.d/q-reinitialize
9 > > * Normally this should only take a few seconds to run but file systems
10 > > * such as ext3 can take a lot longer. To disable, simply do:
11 > > * # chmod -x /etc/portage/postsync.d/q-reinitialize
12 > >
13 > > but it did not tell me *why* and I don't understand what "Reinitialize
14 > > ebuild cache" mean.
15 > >
16 > > In case this makes any odds, I am using eix. Do I need the above script?
17 >
18 > The q tool has it's own database. q-reinitialize updates it. It takes
19 > 0.1 seconds to complete, so you can just activate it and forget about
20 > it. You can also execute it manually to see how fast it is.
21
22 Thanks Nikos, is this a database to be used by the q tools, or for some other
23 purpose?
24
25 I am trying to understand if I will be duplicating what eix does.
26 --
27 Regards,
28 Mick