From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Home page slowness
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 15:44:05
1 On Saturday 10 May 2008, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 16:19 -0700, davecode@××××××××××.net wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > We plan to eval Gentoo. We await 2008 final. The comment is, Gentoo
6 > > home page gives no clue about status. Convincing people that Gentoo is
7 > > "alive" becomes tricky because the final is months late and little
8 > > motion on the home page. That's about all most people inspect.
9 > >
10 > > So bottom line, impressions of Gentoo are going south even before we
11 > > test.
12
13 > For a start, have a look at "Old Charts" link and create statistics for
14 > new, resolved and fixed bugs. These numbers show clearly that Gentoo is
15 > very alive.
16 >
17 > The statistics here: http://www.gentoo-portage.com/Statistics
18 > also show that the number of packages doesn't stagnate as it would on a
19 > dying distro.
20
21 The OP has inadvertently given us some valuable feedback, which stands on its
22 own and is irrelevant with the fact that he (like many other non-gentoo
23 users) had mistaken Gentoo for yet-another-binary-distro. Having a user
24 friendly website that also caters to the needs of newcomers to the Gentoo
25 scene, requires that the key features and benefits of Gentoo are easily
26 visible/accessible. Not many people will navigate to hidden Statistics pages
27 to draw their own conclusions. These could be users that one day prove
28 valuable contributors. I suggest that we spring clean the website and
29 consider our new visitors needs at the same time (plus things like the much
30 asked for Documentation search field?). ;-)
31
32 Just my 2c's.
33 --
34 Regards,