From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Home page slowness
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 17:26:24
1 Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > The OP has inadvertently given us some valuable feedback, which stands on its
5 > own and is irrelevant with the fact that he (like many other non-gentoo
6 > users) had mistaken Gentoo for yet-another-binary-distro. Having a user
7 > friendly website that also caters to the needs of newcomers to the Gentoo
8 > scene, requires that the key features and benefits of Gentoo are easily
9 > visible/accessible. Not many people will navigate to hidden Statistics pages
10 > to draw their own conclusions. These could be users that one day prove
11 > valuable contributors. I suggest that we spring clean the website and
12 > consider our new visitors needs at the same time (plus things like the much
13 > asked for Documentation search field?).
14
15 Some months ago, when we all argued about the necessity of having a "polished"
16 installation CD, many of the more technical folks alluded to the fact that
17 it's really not necessary, as there are a myriad of ways to install Gentoo.
18 We, who use it regularly, know that at any given point you do not need an
19 official installation CD to install Gentoo. Very true.
22 However, as a major Linux distro, I used the analogy of "Green teeth" as
23 our first impression. This (potentially) new user, and the corporation
24 where he works, was about to base their entire opinion of Gentoo, based on the
25 status of the installation CD. For all of those that blasted me, with technical
26 truths, I have now *A BIG FAT GRIN*!
27
28 The question we should all ask is, how often does this happen, and
29 we never know about it? Like it or not, the installation CD(s) are like
30 a first kiss, from a woman. We should make a good impression, as that
31 may be the only chance we get, to grow our membership, into the best
32 (meta) distro on the planet.
33
34 Vindication is very sweet.
37 Seeya,