From: paul <paul@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Ian Graeme Hilt <ian.hilt@×××××.com>, Tim <root@×××××××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] blocking packages when emerge gnome-light
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 09:44:04
1 On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 19:57 -0500, Tim wrote:
2 > paul wrote:
3 > > I am sure that this is all explained somewhere but I cannot find it
4 > > easily.
5 > >
6 > > When running "emerge -av gnome-light" I get :
7 > > [blocks B ] <gnome-base/control-center-2.22 (is blocking
8 > > gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-2.22.1)
9 > > [blocks B ] dev-util/gtk-doc-am (is blocking
10 > > dev-util/gtk-doc-1.8-r2)
13 > > I am not asking anyone to wade through my make.conf and various portage
14 > > files but if someone who knows the system obviously better than I do
15 > > could please point me in the direction of how to fix this issue I would
16 > > be grateful.
17 > >
18 > > My requirements are "install gnome-light 2.22.0 or later".
21 > > Thanks
22 > >
23 > > Paul
24 > Paul,
25 >
26 > What this means is that you have some software installed on your system
27 > already that prevents you from getting gnome-light. In this case, it
28 > looks like you have the two packages gtk-doc-am and control-center,
29 > which are preventing gnome-settings daemon and gtk-doc, respectively,
30 > from being installed.
31 >
32 > The usual way of fixing this problem is to do an emerge -avC on the
33 > packages that are blocking to remove them and allow your gnome-light
34 > installation to proceed. However, remember that some other packages
35 > currently installed on your system may depend on these packages, so you
36 > may not want to go into this blindly. I'm not an expert on the setup of
37 > gnome dependencies, so I can't recommend this course of action
38 > unreservedly; it's just a thought.
39 >
40 > In the future, you'll get better (and likely more courteous) responses
41 > if you start your own thread, rather than taking over someone else's.
42 > You would also do well to look through the Gentoo Handbook - there's a
43 > wonderful section at
44 >
45 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1
46 >
47 > that talks at length about blocked packages and what to do to resolve
48 > your issues.
49 >
50 > -Tim
53 Thanks Tim
54
55 I have now fixed the problem. My confusion was caused by the fact that
56 when I tried "emerge --unmerge gtk-doc-am" I was told that gtk-doc-am
57 was not installed. It turns out that gtk-doc was installed and so
58 running the command "emerge -avC gtk-doc" as you suggested did the job.
59
60 I have raised bug 221195 to help clarify the situation.
64 Transplants Save Lives - http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/
65
68 | | | | __ __ _ _ \ \ 07972184336
69 | | | | / \/ /| | | | > \ 01235 523470
77 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list