From: Tim <root@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] blocking packages when emerge gnome-light
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 00:57:46
1 paul wrote:
2 > I am sure that this is all explained somewhere but I cannot find it
3 > easily.
4 >
5 > When running "emerge -av gnome-light" I get :
6 > [blocks B ] <gnome-base/control-center-2.22 (is blocking
7 > gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-2.22.1)
8 > [blocks B ] dev-util/gtk-doc-am (is blocking
9 > dev-util/gtk-doc-1.8-r2)
12 > I am not asking anyone to wade through my make.conf and various portage
13 > files but if someone who knows the system obviously better than I do
14 > could please point me in the direction of how to fix this issue I would
15 > be grateful.
16 >
17 > My requirements are "install gnome-light 2.22.0 or later".
20 > Thanks
21 >
22 > Paul
23 Paul,
24
25 What this means is that you have some software installed on your system
26 already that prevents you from getting gnome-light. In this case, it
27 looks like you have the two packages gtk-doc-am and control-center,
28 which are preventing gnome-settings daemon and gtk-doc, respectively,
29 from being installed.
30
31 The usual way of fixing this problem is to do an emerge -avC on the
32 packages that are blocking to remove them and allow your gnome-light
33 installation to proceed. However, remember that some other packages
34 currently installed on your system may depend on these packages, so you
35 may not want to go into this blindly. I'm not an expert on the setup of
36 gnome dependencies, so I can't recommend this course of action
37 unreservedly; it's just a thought.
38
39 In the future, you'll get better (and likely more courteous) responses
40 if you start your own thread, rather than taking over someone else's.
41 You would also do well to look through the Gentoo Handbook - there's a
42 wonderful section at
43
44 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1
45
46 that talks at length about blocked packages and what to do to resolve
47 your issues.
48
49 -Tim
50 --