From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about making a tarball
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 18:33:58
1 Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 > On 1 May 2009, at 10:38, Dale wrote:
4 >> ...
5 >> Well, I do something like this. Once every few months I extract that
6 >> stage4 tarball to /mnt/gentoo. I then mount my portage partition to
7 >> /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage. I then mount proc and chroot in. Then I do a
8 >> emerge -uvDN world to update everything, log out of the chroot and
9 >> umount proc and portage. Then I create a new tarball that has the date
10 >> in the name. I keep a couple of these stored on on my backups as well.
13 > I'm confusled. :/
14 >
15 > Why do you update the stage 3, rather than simply creating the stage 4
16 > from your current functioning system?
17 >
18 > Stroller.
23 Well, that will be next on my list. I do make backups of my system but
24 having the stage4 would be faster and give me something to boot into to
25 restore my backups with. For some reason my hard drives are very slow
26 when booted off the cd. My plan is to restore stage4 to a old hard
27 drive, emerge the kernel, build a kernel, install grub, and then boot
28 from that and restore my backups.
29
30 I do plan to start looking into other ways of restoring tho. Just not
31 sure how I'm going to do that yet. Most likely still stage4 since I got
32 it about figured out.
33
34 Dale
35