From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about making a tarball
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 02:00:52
1 On 1 May 2009, at 19:33, Dale wrote:
2 > Stroller wrote:
3 >> ...
4 >> I'm confusled. :/
5 >>
6 >> Why do you update the stage 3, rather than simply creating the
7 >> stage 4
8 >> from your current functioning system?
9 >
10 > Well, that will be next on my list. I do make backups of my system
11 > but
12 > having the stage4 would be faster and give me something to boot into
14 > restore my backups with.
15
16 But AIUI you can create stage4 backups of your working system.
17
18 Restoration would be: boot from any old CD, untar stage4, reboot,
19 perfectly functioning system just as it was before.
20
21 What, in your mind, is the difference between the "faster stage4" and
22 a backup of your system? Surely there should be none.
23
24 Stroller.