From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Openoffice being replaced?
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 20:48:24
1 On 2011-08-01, BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >>>> I would say switch to LibreOffice and don't look back. :)
4 >>>
5 >>> I wouldn't. While LibreOffice may have some advances at the moment,
6 >>> I'm still interested in following main-line OOo - now being setting
7 >>> under Apache.
8 >>
9 >> So you don't use the gentoo OOo ebuilds?? AFAICT, they're a lot closer
10 >> to being libreoffice than to being mainline OOo.
11 >>
12 >>> Please do not force us to convert from OO to LO.
13 >>
14 >> If you use the gentoo ebuilds, then you mostly already have.
15 >> Gentoo OOo? = OOo + Go-Oo
16 >> LibreOffice = OOo + Go-Oo
17 >
18 > There's other stuff in LibreOffice too. But I'd still much rather be
19 > using OOo than LibreOffice.
20 >
21 > And I'd rather drop the GO-OOo patches, but I don't think there's an
22 > option for that in emerge.
23
24 Not that I've noticed.
25
26 >>> I have no problem with separate installs for each, but there will be
27 >>> those (like me) that want the official OO installs.
28 >>
29 >> But, what you get using the Gentoo ebuilds isn't the official OOo
30 >> install. If you're running official OOo, then youre not using the
31 >> Gentoo ebuilds, so why do you care what those ebuilds produce?
32 >>
33 >> One of the things I like about LibreOffice is the reduced
34 >> dependancies. Even with the gnome USE flag turned off, OOo pulls in
35 >> some big gnome dependancies that I don't want.? WTF does an office
36 >> suite need libgweather?
37 >
38 > And I'm sure the Apache OO guys will fix that in due time as well.
39 >
40 > All I'm saying is that I want to stick with the Apache OOo in the
41 > long run, not LibreOffice.
42
43 And what I'm saying is that if you're using the Gentoo ebuilds, you
44 abandoned official OOo a long time ago and are already a ways down the
45 road that LO is taking.
46
47 If you want to stick with Apache OOo, that's cool.
48
49 However, the old OOo ebuilds were a long ways from the official branch
50 of OOo before LO came along. So, for people who want to stick with
51 Apache OOo, it doesn't matter that the old OOo ebuilds are being
52 dropped.
53
54 > Users can switch to the LibreOffice install if they desire, but
55 > there's no reason for force those that want to continue with OOo to
56 > move over.
57
58 I'm not saying they should be forced to, but it seems like they're
59 fooling themselves if they think that the old Gentoo OOo ebuilds were
60 closer to "official OOo" than to LO. That's probably why the old OOo
61 ebuilds are being dropped -- they're mostly redundant now that LO has
62 come along and incorporated GoOo patches.
65 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I wish I was on a
66 at Cincinnati street corner
67 gmail.com holding a clean dog!