From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] This Connection is Untrusted: WAS: Firefox-10.0.1 fails to compile on x86
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 17:34:33
1 On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 02/24/12 02:45, Florian Philipp wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Let's not forget that whenever you are presented with that warning, it
5 >> could also be a man-in-the-middle attack. Therefore just clicking on
6 >> "Accept" on every site is about the stupidest thing you can do.
7 >>
8 >> I'm unsure how the warning looks when you have previously accepted a
9 >> normally untrusted certificate on that site and now it is different
10 >> (which could be an indication of MITM). I hope there is a big red flashy
11 >> warning but I doubt it.
14 > Not if the certificate is "valid."
15 >
16 > The only sane way to handle certificates with parties you've never met
17 > (i.e. every website) is the SSH method: you accept that, no matter what,
18 > there's always going to be one opportunity for a man-in-the-middle
19 > attack. The first time you connect, you save the remote server's
20 > certificate. If it changes, freak out.
21 >
22 > The certificate patrol extension does this:
23 >
24 >  http://patrol.psyced.org/
25 >
26 > With it, self-signed certificates become more secure than CA-signed ones.
27
28 Thanks for the link. The MultiZilla extension way back in the
29 Netscape/Mozilla/Seamonkey 1.x days treated certificates like this:
30 you had to approve all certs the first time, even if they were from a
31 trusted CA and if it ever changed for any reason, it would refuse to
32 connect unless you approved the new cert.
33
34 It seems to me that's how it should *always* work, in all software
35 that uses SSL certificates, but I understand wanting to keep it simple
36 for non-technical users... but those are the very users most at risk,
37 probably the most likely to use hostile wifi networks (in my mind,
38 hostile is anything other than the router I control at my house).
39
40 Additionally http://perspectives-project.org/ or
41 http://convergence.io/ can help you in establishing the initial trust
42 and are an attempt at eliminating the need to trust CAs at all.