From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] This Connection is Untrusted: WAS: Firefox-10.0.1 fails to compile on x86
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 16:44:42
1 On 02/24/12 02:45, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 >
3 > Let's not forget that whenever you are presented with that warning, it
4 > could also be a man-in-the-middle attack. Therefore just clicking on
5 > "Accept" on every site is about the stupidest thing you can do.
6 >
7 > I'm unsure how the warning looks when you have previously accepted a
8 > normally untrusted certificate on that site and now it is different
9 > (which could be an indication of MITM). I hope there is a big red flashy
10 > warning but I doubt it.
13 Not if the certificate is "valid."
14
15 The only sane way to handle certificates with parties you've never met
16 (i.e. every website) is the SSH method: you accept that, no matter what,
17 there's always going to be one opportunity for a man-in-the-middle
18 attack. The first time you connect, you save the remote server's
19 certificate. If it changes, freak out.
20
21 The certificate patrol extension does this:
22
23 http://patrol.psyced.org/
24
25 With it, self-signed certificates become more secure than CA-signed ones.