From: Thomas Sigurdsen <thomas.sigurdsen@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: java.awt.AWTError
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 14:18:01
1 On 02/03/2016 01:34 PM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > On 02/03/2016 02:04:32 PM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
3 >> Hi Helmut,
4 >>
5 >> Helmut Jarausch wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Hi,
8 >>>
9 >>> when emerging sci-geosciences/josm-9999 I get a Java error :
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >>> java.awt.AWTError: Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0' as
13 >> the
14 >>> value of the DISPLAY variable.
15 >>>
16 >>>
17 >>> This is on a local machine using DISPLAY :0
18 >>>
19 >>> Would anybody please shed some light on this error.
20 >>>
21 >>> (Emerge version 9060 proceeds just fine)
22 >>>
23 >>> Many thanks for a hint,
24 >>> Helmut
25 >>
26 >> during the ebuild a Java application is running that requests the
27 >> presence
28 >> of X. So you're either on a machine without X or your JDK has no X
29 >> support.
30 >> E.g. the icedtea variants have a flag 'headless-awt' wich turns off X
31 >> suport
32 >> if active (and the name and meaning of the flag recently changed from
33 >> 'X').
34 >>
35 >> As another alternative you may try to fix the ebuild by running the
36 >> java
37 >> application in question with system property
38 >> "-Djava.headless.awt=true".
39 >> This can succeed if the application just initializes AWT, but does not
40 >> use
41 >> it to display something.
44 > Thanks Jörg!
45 >
46 > My icedtea doesn't have the headless-awt use flag.
47 > I've replaced
48 > eant dist-optimized
49 > by
50 > eant -Djava.headless.awt=true dist-optimized
51 > in the ebuild, but it didn't help.
52 >
53 > Helmut
59 Another possible reason for this is that X is running as your user and
60 not root. I am not very familiar with how X and displays work, but I've
61 stumbled upon similar errors before when trying to run certain GUI
62 programs through root or sudo. I've usually solved this by giving my
63 regular user some permissions (usually just groups) and ran it as my user.
64
65 Though if this happens as part of emerge I've no idea how to go about
66 fixing it. It might be that what I've seen earlier is just my own FUBAR
67 sys and config.