From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Yikes, replacing sata 200gb with Sata 750gb .. no bootsky.
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 23:52:23
1 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Are you using the latest BIOS for the Adaptec card? It looks like the
4 > chipset is Silicon Image 3112A and the latest BIOS on SI's website is
5 > 4.2.84. http://www.siliconimage.com/support/
6
7 After downloading the bios upgrade and trying to figure out how to use
8 it from the instructions... One thing is not clear to me, does the
9 procedure write something to the chip on the card or to the system
10 (pc) bios.
11
12 Also I don't see any evidence this upgrade would make the card work
13 with those 750 drives.
14
15 Even worse, I'd have to install the card on a different machine since
16 the one I needed it for has no floppy. And it appears I'd either need
17 to install it on a windows machine or install a little free dos
18 application that allows user to create a bootable floppy to get the
19 job done.
20
21 I'm starting to wonder if this is really worth the effort when I may
22 find it still doesn't work for newer 750s.
23
24 I think I'd almost have to hear from someone who has used it with
25 newer drives to keep on with it.
26
27 It cost $42 which I hate to just throw away, but there is some chance
28 the Digiconepts that I bought it from will give me some kind of
29 exchange for something known to work in the situation I need it in.
30
31 You've helped me an awful lot. I wish I new your tricks for turning
32 up information... it always seems to take me forever to find what I
33 need on the internet.