From: Guillermo Antonio Amaral Bastidas <me@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo Healthy? (The Return)
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 09:33:17
1 On Tuesday 03 July 2007 09:07:24 Grant wrote:
2 > In December 2006 I started a thread titled "Is Gentoo Healthy?" in
3 > which I was roundly put down for raising the possibility that the
4 > decline in the number of Gentoo users could possibly affect the
5 > remaining Gentoo users in a negative way.
6 >
7 > Is everyone still toeing that line? The Gentoo Weekly Newsletter
8 > hasn't been published in almost two months. Is Gentoo destined to be
9 > just another distro starved for contributors and struggling to stay up
10 > to date? If so, I really misjudged it. The meta approach of Gentoo
11 > is superior to any other in my mind, and I think it's growth and
12 > potential are being stunted by the "we don't need them" attitude which
13 > perpetuates Gentoo's lack of usability features for beginners.
14 >
15 > Gentoo needs as many users as possible to reach its potential. It's a
16 > short-sighted mistake to think that non-contributing users do Gentoo
17 > no good. Non-contributing users become contributors as time passes.
18 > Car mechanics all start as car drivers.
19 >
20 > - Grant
21
22 Personally I love Gentoo, IMHO the compile aspect of it ( the part that I
23 love most of all ) is what keeps beginners and novice GNU/Linux users away,
24 the target audience will always be those who don't mind taking the time to
25 build a fully customized system even if it takes a day or two.
26
27 Gentoo does indeed need more users to become contributors, I have been
28 a "Non-contributing" user for some time now, just promoting it when ever
29 possible, I even got my company to switch many Windows workstations to Gentoo
30 development stations, a few months ago my company offered to pay me to work
31 full time on any free and open source project that might benifit them in the
32 end, I jumped at the chance and applied to work in different areas of Gentoo
33 (mostly C/CPP and Perl development areas), after many unanswered e-mails and
34 one telling me to "be patient" I gave up and applied to work in the KDE
35 project ( in two days I had my own SVN and started porting code to KDE4 ), I
36 personally think Gentoo makes it hard to contribute in many areas, this might
37 be why few Non-contributing users become contributing users.
40 Guillermo Antonio Amaral Bastidas
41 # Free & Open Source Software Advocate
42 $ irc: guillermoamaral@freenode
43 @ blog: http://blog.guillermoamaral.com/
44 @ site: http://www.guillermoamaral.com/
45 % gpg: http://downloads.guillermoamaral.com/public.asc