From: mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting minimal installer ISO on rx4640 and rx2660 fails
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 12:12:33
1 17. Aug 2017 04:36 by frank.scheiner@×××.de:
4 > Just a quick answer while I'm rechecking my burned CDROMs as per Mick's suggestions.
5 >
6 > On 08/17/2017 12:29 PM, > mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com> wrote:
7 >> you did turn uefi off in the bios didn't you? gentoo installer won't work with uefi, though one hopes for a more specific error message in real life error messages can show up due to the afect, rather than what actually started the problem.
8 >
9 > Is it possible at all to switch to "BIOS (MBR)" boot mode on (U)EFI Itanium machines? I read that message in the IA64 handbook ([1]), but didn't consider it relevant for Itanium based machines. If there is a command in the EFI shell to do that I haven't found it yet.
10 >
11 > [1]: > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:IA64/Installation/Media#Minimal_installation_CD
16  I know others have turned it off, should be a bios setting.  don't have any boxes new enough to have personal experiance, and how/if you can do it likely varies by bios vendor and which "features" are built into your' bios.  best advice is to go into your' bios and look around, generally a good idea anyway (just don't start trying things out carelessly, i've seen people do that and then claim a harddrive was bad.  it wasn't, they just changed the boot order and hence grub didn't have the right location).  if you have or can find the motherboards manual it's a good place to start and often has detailed instructions.