From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Systemd as drop-in replacement for udev?
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 21:19:08
1 On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 2:36 PM, Róbert Čerňanský <openhs@×××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 >
4 > I am currently updating my system and Portage wants to replace udev
5 > (204) with systemd (208). My question is (hopefully) simple:
6 >
7 > Can I use systemd as drop-in replacement for udev? In other words, can
8 > I pretend that systemd is udev and continue using OpenRC as with udev
9 > itself? I would then apply just udev 204 to 208 update instructions
10 > (http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Udev/upgrade).
11 >
12 > I am using WindowMaker and systemd was pulled in by
13 > gnome-settings-daemon which in turn was pulled in by gdm. I would like
14 > to stick with gdm.
15 >
16 > Usually I feel pretty comfortable replacing one package with another if
17 > Portage wants so (e.g. because they block each other) but in this case I
18 > want to be extra careful. I did not find a clear answer to this.
19 > Usually people either migrate fully to systemd (replacing openrc) or
20 > stays with udev + openrc.
21
22 I think that's the usual way; either switch completely to systemd, or
23 keep using OpenRC+udev (or OpenRC+eudev, or several other
24 combinations).
25
26 The GNOME stuff that requires systemd will not work under OpenRC from
27 3.10 on, you could get strange fails with gdm and
28 gnome-settings-daemon. If it's gdm-3.8, then I think you can use
29 systemd as udev replacement together with OpenRC, and I believe some
30 people did it successfully.
31
32 Regards.
33 --