From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: OT - RAM disks - WAS Re: [gentoo-user] Network failed and weird error message
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 05:53:19
1 On Oct 14, 2013 6:04 PM, "Tanstaafl" <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2013-10-13 5:49 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Talk about putting some stuff on tmpfs. O_O I have always wanted to
6 >> copy the tree to tmpfs and run "time emerge -uvaDN world". Just to see
7 >> how fast it will go. lol
10 > I remember once I worked for an Apple reseller that had this accounting
11 program that required them to do some kind of 'reconciliation' every month
12 that required a massive amount of processing - it took like 36 hours or
13 something ridiculous (literally almost took all weekend), and he had
14 implemented a rule that someone had to be there the entire time to baby sit
15 the process - apparently it wasn't uncommon for there to be an error that
16 would require them to restart it - and this was on a pretty powerful system
17 at the time.
18 >
19 > Well, one weekend, when we were building a system for a customer with
20 tons of RAM (for the time) I talked them into a little experiment. The boss
21 didn't believe me when I told him I could get the reconciliation processing
22 time down to less than a day (I told him probably just a few hours, but
23 wasn't sure)... so we made a bet.
24 >
25 > I took a Quadra 900 (or maybe it was a 950), and added a bunch of RAM - I
26 think we got it up to 128MB or something ridiculous (this was in about
27 1992). The accounting DB was about 40MB at the time, but hey, we had the
28 RAM, so I just loaded it up.
29 >
30 > I created a RAM disk, copied the entire Accounting DB into it, and
31 started running the reconciliation. The process finished after about 45
32 minutes (I was even surprised at that), and while there were no errors and
33 it said it had completed successfully, the boss was sure that something had
34 gone wrong. So, he re-ran it the old way on the old server, and almost 2
35 days later, when the numbers matched, he just shook his head and paid me
36 off, muttering about the lost weekends over the last 5 years he'd been
37 there. He kept that machine around for running the reconciliation for at
38 least a few months, but then I left, so no idea how long he kept it for...
41 Niiiice.. 48x performance improvement? I know of some DBA who would gladly
42 pay an arm + a leg + their grandmothers for that kind of improvement :-)
43
44 Kind of tangential, but that's what Oracle is aiming with their TimesTen
45 product: give the server oodles of RAM, and load the database in memory.
46
47 Another similar performance-improving method would be using Fusion-IO to
48 load the database into direct-memory-mapped SSDs. They claimed that the
49 most high-end Fusion-IO devices can reach up to 9 million IOPS...
50
51 Rgds,
52 --