From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: OT - RAM disks - WAS Re: [gentoo-user] Network failed and weird error message
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 11:04:28
1 On 2013-10-13 5:49 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Talk about putting some stuff on tmpfs. O_O I have always wanted to
3 > copy the tree to tmpfs and run "time emerge -uvaDN world". Just to see
4 > how fast it will go. lol
5
6 I remember once I worked for an Apple reseller that had this accounting
7 program that required them to do some kind of 'reconciliation' every
8 month that required a massive amount of processing - it took like 36
9 hours or something ridiculous (literally almost took all weekend), and
10 he had implemented a rule that someone had to be there the entire time
11 to baby sit the process - apparently it wasn't uncommon for there to be
12 an error that would require them to restart it - and this was on a
13 pretty powerful system at the time.
14
15 Well, one weekend, when we were building a system for a customer with
16 tons of RAM (for the time) I talked them into a little experiment. The
17 boss didn't believe me when I told him I could get the reconciliation
18 processing time down to less than a day (I told him probably just a few
19 hours, but wasn't sure)... so we made a bet.
20
21 I took a Quadra 900 (or maybe it was a 950), and added a bunch of RAM -
22 I think we got it up to 128MB or something ridiculous (this was in about
23 1992). The accounting DB was about 40MB at the time, but hey, we had the
24 RAM, so I just loaded it up.
25
26 I created a RAM disk, copied the entire Accounting DB into it, and
27 started running the reconciliation. The process finished after about 45
28 minutes (I was even surprised at that), and while there were no errors
29 and it said it had completed successfully, the boss was sure that
30 something had gone wrong. So, he re-ran it the old way on the old
31 server, and almost 2 days later, when the numbers matched, he just shook
32 his head and paid me off, muttering about the lost weekends over the
33 last 5 years he'd been there. He kept that machine around for running
34 the reconciliation for at least a few months, but then I left, so no
35 idea how long he kept it for...