From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: OT - RAM disks - WAS Re: [gentoo-user] Network failed and weird error message
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 12:09:49
1 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-10-13 5:49 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Talk about putting some stuff on tmpfs. O_O I have always wanted to
4 >> copy the tree to tmpfs and run "time emerge -uvaDN world". Just to see
5 >> how fast it will go. lol
6 >
7 > I remember once I worked for an Apple reseller that had this
8 > accounting program that required them to do some kind of
9 > 'reconciliation' every month that required a massive amount of
10 > processing - it took like 36 hours or something ridiculous (literally
11 > almost took all weekend), and he had implemented a rule that someone
12 > had to be there the entire time to baby sit the process - apparently
13 > it wasn't uncommon for there to be an error that would require them to
14 > restart it - and this was on a pretty powerful system at the time.
15 >
16 > Well, one weekend, when we were building a system for a customer with
17 > tons of RAM (for the time) I talked them into a little experiment. The
18 > boss didn't believe me when I told him I could get the reconciliation
19 > processing time down to less than a day (I told him probably just a
20 > few hours, but wasn't sure)... so we made a bet.
21 >
22 > I took a Quadra 900 (or maybe it was a 950), and added a bunch of RAM
23 > - I think we got it up to 128MB or something ridiculous (this was in
24 > about 1992). The accounting DB was about 40MB at the time, but hey, we
25 > had the RAM, so I just loaded it up.
26 >
27 > I created a RAM disk, copied the entire Accounting DB into it, and
28 > started running the reconciliation. The process finished after about
29 > 45 minutes (I was even surprised at that), and while there were no
30 > errors and it said it had completed successfully, the boss was sure
31 > that something had gone wrong. So, he re-ran it the old way on the old
32 > server, and almost 2 days later, when the numbers matched, he just
33 > shook his head and paid me off, muttering about the lost weekends over
34 > the last 5 years he'd been there. He kept that machine around for
35 > running the reconciliation for at least a few months, but then I left,
36 > so no idea how long he kept it for...
40 I remember those days. I quit my computer job just about a year or so
41 before that. I think it was when I got tired of windoze 3.1
42 reinstalls. That model number sounds familiar to for some reason. ;-)
43
44 I ordered the mobo. I'm worried that something could happen to this
45 thing and me not have a rig at all. That ain't good.
46
47 Dale
48
52 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!