From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network failed and weird error message
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 21:49:51
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 13 Oct 2013 13:26:31 Dale wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Memory question. The mobo I have uses this: "Support for DDR3
5 >> 1666(OC)/1333/1066 MHz memory modules" I have the 1666 on here. It was
6 >> what was on sale. :-D The new mobo calls for this: "DDR3
7 >> 2000(OC)/1866/1600/1333/1066" Are the two compatible? Both are DDR3.
8 >>
9 >> Thanks.
10 >>
11 >> Dale
12 >>
13 >> :-) :-)
14 >
15 > They are, although the new MoBo memory can be overclocked higher.
16 Bear in
17 > mind that some MoBos will complain if they are not fitted with identical
18 > memory modules. Somehow I happen to come across them each time ... :-(
19
20 So I can buy the mobo and reuse the memory I have now? That will help a
21 LOT right now. The new mobo will support twice the amount of ram but I
22 can upgrade that and the CPU later on. The mobo I am looking at is this
23 one:
24
25 http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4717#ov
26
27 The mobo I currently have is here:
28
29 http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3320#sp
30
31 I don't overclock so I'm not worried about that. I did it once with a
32 old Abit mobo with a AMD 2500+ CPU but it just didn't make much difference.
33
34 The memory I have is here:
35
36 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231313
37
38 It appears I looked at something wrong here. The one I have is the same
39 as what the mobo calls for. I think??? I need to sleep more and I got
40 to much stuff going on. :/ I wonder where I got the 1666 from??
41
42 It appears that I should be good to go with the new mobo. Use my old
43 ram, upgrade with 8GB sticks as I can and they go on sale. In the end,
44 I can have up to 32GBs of ram. Talk about putting some stuff on tmpfs.
45 O_O I have always wanted to copy the tree to tmpfs and run "time emerge
46 -uvaDN world". Just to see how fast it will go. lol
47
48 If anyone sees anything here that won't work, let me know soon. I plan
49 to order this thing pretty soon. Given the USB issue, the ethernet
50 having issues, I'm worried something else may start to break as well. :-(
51
52 Thanks to all. Posting the question got me to see I made a boo boo
53 somewhere about the memory speed. I think?
54
55 Dale
56
60 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
61 how you interpreted my words!