From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user][SOLVED] shared portage tree
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:47:54
1 On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 13:47:23 +0200
2 Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk> wrote:
3
4 > On Monday 24 September 2007 13:36:34 Daniel Iliev wrote:
5 > > Yes. This setup works here also and I have no breakages, but since
6 > > I've let the x86 machies use shared portage tree I have the feeling
7 > > the performance of portage dropped down notably.
8 > >
9 > > I don't know what happens at the end of "emerge --sync", what the
10 > > metadata consists of and if it is the same for each arch and
11 > > installation. Should I do "emerge --regen" after syncing on each
12 > > machine or something like that?
13 >
14 > If anything you should do emerge --metadata. If transfers the
15 > metadata/cache to /var/cache/edb. If you never modify eclasses
16 > in /usr/portage you can alternatively use the metadata_overlay cache
17 > module...
18 >
19 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/faq.xml
22 Thanks, Bo!
23
24 I removed /var/cache/edb, added "-metadata-transfer" to "FEATURES" and
25 then put "portdbapi.auxdbmodule = cache.metadata_overlay.database"
26 in "/etc/portage/modules". After the first "emerge -DuN world -p" which
27 took about 6min to rebuild the cache now the performance is back to
28 normal: emerge -DuN world takes about 1min - 1min30sec
35 Best regards,
36 Daniel
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list