From: Ryan <ryan@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] More on mbr
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 00:23:24
1 It may be easier to just remove lilo with lilo -U
2
3 If you cant get the machine to boot so that you can type that, just use
4 a live cd like Knoppix or PCLinuxOS, then make symlinks so that lilo
5 would run. IE:
6
7 mv etc etc.old
8 ln -s /mnt/etc /etc
9 mv boot boot.old
10 ln -s /mnt/boot /boot
11
12 then just type lilo -U and it should remove the boot stuff and grub MAY
13 load. I've never actually tried it, but I think in theory it looks good
14 hehe.
15
16 reader@×××××××.com wrote:
17
18 >How can I get a real eyes on look at what is in the MBR. I'm trying
19 >this:
20 >
21 > dd if=/dev/hda of=mbr.img bs=512 count=1
22 >
23 >Running strings on the result shows a litte of it:
24 >
25 > strings mbr.img
26 > LILO
27 > LILOu)^h
28 > `UUfP
29 > fPYX
30 >
31 >I thought maybe it could be mounted so:
32 >mkdir mbr
33 > mount -o loop mbr.img mbr
34 >
35 >But mount wants to know what `type' filesystem it is. I tried a few
36 >things but really didn't expect them to work like:
37 > ext2 msdos minix iso9660
38 >
39 >None worked of course. So can this be done? Any one know what
40 >should be in there exactly and how to view it?
41 >
42 >What this is all about is that I'm not succeding in overwriting the
43 >lilo code mbr by running `grub setup'
44 >
45 >The grub command succeeds but when I attempt to boot I still get a
46 >crippled lilo response. By crippled I mean the dread:
47 > Li . . . . Hang forever
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list